Volunteer English Teacher
As the international development sector continues to grow, most jobs at international not-for-profits, charities, and NGOs will require their employees to have experience working abroad. This volunteer education position represents an excellent opportunity to gain on-the-ground experience for anyone wishing to pursue a career in education or development.
The Volunteer English Teacher will spend a minimum of 6 weeks in Athens, working both to produce education materials and to conduct English as a Foreign Language lessons. As well as gaining excellent education experience, the volunteer will get a valuable insight to the work of an NGO.
This volunteer role is an excellent opportunity for a new or recent graduate to gain experience of implementing education for development initiatives at both the project and classroom level while living and working in a beautiful part of the world and working alongside interesting and worthwhile projects.
The English Teacher will work with Zaatar in Athens, Greece. They will be expected to work independently to ensure a high standard of delivery and where appropriate meet the education needs of existing or future projects. For specific responsibilities, see the section below.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Volunteer English Teacher will work on the following areas of responsibilities:
- Production of targeted resources and schemes of work for English training
- Teaching English to a range of learners
- Conducting assessment of learners
- Organisation of lesson plans
- Taking part in education and training events or schemes as required by programmes
- Any other English Teaching tasks as needed by the Director of Operations and Heads of Departments
- Contract type: Volunteer, unsalaried, no expenses
- Contract duration: a minimum of 6 weeks
- Reporting to: Director of Operations
- The successful applicant will:
- Ideally hold an undergraduate degree and ideally a TEFL certificate or equivalent
- Have experience of informal and community education
- Be able demonstrate an ability to work independently
- Be able demonstrate a passion for using education for development
- Have the ability to successfully manage their time and prioritise tasks
- Be able to adjust to life in another culture and a foreign language, and be able to work at all times with cultural sensitivity
- Ideally have previous experience living, working or travelling in a developing country, or working with vulnerable communities - though is not essential
- Be able to financially support themselves for a minimum of 6 weeks
We are looking for experienced, motivated and enthusiastic English Language teachers to join our team at Zaatar NGO. You will be teaching voluntarily for a minimum of 6 weeks to a class comprised of adult learners who are refugees. We are looking for teachers for our (BEGINNER/ELEMENTARY/PRE-INTERMEDIATE classes). Each class you teach will have a maximum of 12 students. There are 3 x two hour classes each week for each level.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
Priority is given to applicants holding CELTA/TEFL qualifications.
Excellent communication skills. Experience and willingness to work with a multicultural team of staff and students. Good organisation. High motivation. Preferably has experience working with NGOs. Preferably has experience working with refugee communities. Adaptability and flexibility to work in an sometimes volatile and unpredictable environment. Patience, empathy and kindness. Preferably has experience teaching English to adults.
Hours: 6 teaching hours per week, plus planning and another 2 hours for check-ins, support and meetings. 3 days per week between Monday and Friday. Weekends off.
Minimum duration/commitment: 6 weeks, but the longer the better!
What we will offer you in return:
- Guidance and support throughout your time, both in terms of lesson planning but also emotionally.
- Thorough introductory session followed by lesson observations before you start teaching.
- Help with lesson planning and teaching technique.
- You will have regular meetings with the other teachers to discuss how things are going.
- You will have a chance to hang out with and get to know the rest of the volunteer team with regular staff chill-out events (film nights/baking/eating together etc)
- A reference from Zaatar NGO for your future career development.
- Bottomless gratitude.
If interested, please submit a letter of interest in the box below.