Convinced of the importance of education in the process of inclusion of migrant and refugee people in society, Za’atar NGO has always had for mission to offer free language and skill classes as well as professional trainings to its beneficiaries.
It thus is as an actor of education and from civil society, that the organization was invited to join a European consortium of research dedicated to improving inclusion in Higher Education, and take part in the ambitious project BRIDGES. Its goal : “diversifying knowledge and tackling discrimination through civil society participation in universities”.
BREAKING NEWS : BRIDGES' Summer School, “Building solidarity. Feminist and Anti-racist Practices in Higher Education”, is waiting for you. It will take place online from June 29th to July 23rd, 2021. Applications are opened to Master students, PhD candidates and early career teachers until May, 14th. Learn more here.
This initiative, co-funded by the Erasmus + Programme of the European Union and the Servicio Español para la Internacionalización de la Educación (SEPIE), runs from October 2019 to July 2022, bringing together actors of Higher Education and civil society from Spain, Germany, Greece and the United Kingdom, under the coordination of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.
Through this international and diverse partnership, inspired by Participatory Action Research methodologies , the project aims at producing four outcomes :
– a Virtual Lab accessible to all, on which will be displayed the different products and results of the research ;
– a Toolkit of concepts, exercises and strategies to challenge hegemonic discourses and dismantle exclusionary mechanisms operating in Higher Education ;
– a Course, ““Inclusion Without Discrimination,” aimed at current and future Higher Education instructors, which will be delivered in the second year of the project ;
– a Monograph, Diversifying Knowledges, Building Inclusive Societies: Theories and Methods of Narrative Productions., co-authored by all the participants, retracing the whole research adventure and elaboration of the narrative productions and participatory curriculum design, in order for them to be appropriated and replicated by all those who whish to engage with such a challenge.
Za’atar NGO is proud to be part of such an exciting project and intellectual journey, combining action and thinking for change.
- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (Spain)
- Sindillar: Sindicato Trabajadoras del Hogar y del Cuidado (Barcelona, Spain)
- Institute of Sociology, Justus-Liebig Universität (Giessen, Germany)
- an.ge.kommen e.V. (Giessen, Germany)
- University of Brighton (England)
- Feminist Autonomous Centre for Research (Athens, Greece)
- Za'atar NGO (Athens, Greece)
- Office of Displaced Designers (Lesvos, Greece)
Learn more about BRIDGES on the project's website.